Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Lehi's Vision Activity

I adapted this activity on one I have used in the past.
Click HERE for details
Today, it was all about avoiding the Large and Spacious Building (aka-the floor)
If you look closely, they are all standing on a paper plate
 When my students entered class, they had a paper plate and a marker at their seat. As we discussed ways to protect ourselves from being  distracted by the world, staying focused on the Tree in Lehi's Vision (God's Love and the Atonement of Jesus Christ), etc.,  I had them write those things on their paper plate. Some of them took it very seriously and wrote specific things like what type of friends they need, who they should/should not date, caution in media choices, etc. Once we were done, we went into the Cultural Hall for this game. I altered it by requiring them to keep their arms linked to the people on both sides of them. This made them work together and support each other on their journey through the mists of darkness and finally to the Tree of Life. At the end, we returned to the classroom and discussed the parallels of this activity to real life, staying close to positive peers, staying on the path, focusing on the end, avoiding the distractions of the world, etc.



Happy Teaching

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shauna,
    I have really enjoyed your ideas for the last two weeks (I was called as an early seminary teacher two weeks ago!). I have two great girls, twin sisters, and their mother attending class. But we have over 20 who should be coming. I've visited 14 of them in their homes and met their parents and explained seminary, I've also plugged seminary during a sacrament meeting talk and I make sure to talk to the students who come to church each Sunday. Your class demographics sound very similar to our ward; several Spanish speaking families and lots of first-generation members whose parents came from Haiti or Africa. Do you have any ideas about boosting attendance? I know the program in your area had no consistency before you were called, and I'd like to follow suit and make our program a success instead of an after-thought program. I tried to email you, but can't find any other contact information. If you have the time to reach out, my email address is kramer.jessicalynn [at] gmail [dot] com. Thank you for your blog, you've already been a HUGE help!
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete