I used the gym, stage, the kitchen, and our classroom.
It was not as complicated as it may sound and it went quickly. We were able to work on more Scripture Mastery and have a short thought from the lesson.
Here is how it worked:
- While we were still in the classroom, I assigned everyone a partner.
- Each student was told to bring their journal and something to write with as they went through the obstacle course.
- I just used what I had at home to come up with each activity. I got some of the ideas from a fellow Seminary teacher, Katie Gurney, and adapted them to fit this activity.
- At the end of each activity, students were to look inside a brown bag to find the new key word (s) and write them in their journal.
- After completing the course and collecting all the key words, students were to return to the classroom, determine which Scripture Mastery verse(s) the key words were from, write the passage in their journals, repeat it to their partner, then go to the kitchen for the final key word (prize) "eternal life" which was a pot with gold foil covered chocolate coins.
- Here are the activities on the obstacle course
- Wheelbarrow race through the "strait and narrow" way (I put a long table on it's side up against a wall to create a narrow path)
- Balance a Book of Mormon on your head (Word of Christ)
- Balance grains of wheat on a spoon while walking to next table, then pour into a can (unshaken faith)
- Walk to next station without shoes/feet touching the wood floors-I provided paper plates for them to use however best they felt would accomplish this task (wholly on the merits)
- Lift hand weights on the way to the next station (press forward)
- Jump rope on the way to the next station (steadfastness)
- Use flashlights to go up the stairs to the dark stage and find the next clue (brightness of hope) This was good as I had a black paper pinned to the black stage curtains with the words "Brightness of hope" written in gold. It took some searching and effort to find this clue.
- Write on a small paper heart a kind word or words about someone in the class and glue it in your journal (love of God and all men)
- Using 2 forks (1 per team member), without piercing the orange, balance it on both forks as you walk to the next station (feasting upon the words of Christ)
- Crawl to next station and do 10 push ups when you get there (endure to the end)
- Instructions at this station: Return to classroom, determine which Scripture Mastery verses contain these key words, write the passage in your journal, repeat out loud to your partner, go to the kitchen to receive the final key word and ultimate prize (eternal life)
Here are some additional photos